The name ‘Murshidabad’ comes from the place known as “Muksudabad” which was the capital of Bengal during Murshid Quli Khan’s rule. Before the advent of British, the city of Murshidabad was the capital of Bengal. It has a great significance in the Indian History as in 1757 the British defeated Siraj–ud–Daula in the Battle of Plassey, after which the entire nation was brought under the British Colonial Rule. Even after the conquest of Bengal by the British, Murshidabad remained for some time the seat of administration.
The town still bears memories of Nawabs with mosques, tombs, and gardens, and retains such industries as carving in ivory, gold and silver embroidery and silk weaving. Of historic interest are Nizamat Kila (the Fortress of the Nawabs) also known as the Hazaarduari Palace (Palace of a Thousand Doors), the Moti Jhil (Pearl Lake), the Muradbagh Palace and the Khushbagh Cemetery. Murshidabad today is a centre for agriculture, handicrafts and sericulture.
|Languages spoken||Hindi, English, Bengali|
|Currency used||INR (₹)|
|Area (km2)||5316.11 sq. km.|